17 Aug 2014

Review: NYX Black Label Lipstick in Midnight Dinner

NYX, you've did it again. I don't know how but NYX has managed to get me hooked onto yet another one of their lip products, this time it's not a gloss but a lipstick. NYX Black Label Lipsticks are one of the best and most affordable on the market retailing for only $7.50 (or less due to constantly being on sale). Without further ado today's post will showcase my current obsession Midnight Dinner. 

 photo P8153864_zps26349d83.jpg

As always let's begin with packaging - the Black Label Lipsticks are meant to be the 'higher' end range of the brand therefore the packaging (in my opinion) looks much more aesthetically appealing to the eye.  The casing is a sleek slate grey shade with black lace detailing which adds an elegant touch. I feel as though they come across more sturdy and slightly heavier than their counterpart, the Round Lipsticks or Matte Lipsticks.

What I like most about the Black Label Lipstick packaging is the visibility of the shade at the bottom of the lipstick. This means you can store them upside down and be able to spot out each colour instantly, instead of the dreadful lucky dip and having to open and close 5 different lipsticks before finding the right colour.

 photo P8153880_zps6281072b.jpg
 photo P8153868_zpsd0129fe8.jpg

As for formula these are absolutely god sent. The lipstick feels very moisturising and comfortable when applied onto the lips, kind of like smearing butter over your lips except way less gross. As for pigmentation, being a owner of at least 5 Black Label Lipsticks, I can assure you that these are very, very true to colour. What you see in the tube is definitely what you get when you apply it onto your lips after one sweep. As for wear, as these are quite creamy and buttery they can tend to fade and transfer more quickly especially when eating or drinking. But nothing like a quick dash to the bathroom for a touch up cant fix.  I did notice though that if I wore this lipstick without disturbing the colour for a couple of hours it does leave a soft stain on the lips which looks quite flattering.

 photo P8153873_zps61e9b0df.jpg
 photo P8153874_zps6596a3ab.jpg

So now that we have discovered I love the formula and packaging let's move onto the aspect I love most about Black Label Lipstick - the scent. Dear Lord almighty, I don't know what scent their putting into this product, but I love it. The scent reminds me of a mixture of two things 1) Grape Hubba Bubba Gum and 2) Grape Zappos, so let's just assume the scent they're going for is grape? Ugh, words simply cannot describe how much self control I have when I apply this lipstick.

On a more normal note, Midnight Dinner is the perfect creme pink plum shade. It's great for those who don't technically want an eye-catching, in your face colour, but something more on the subtle side but can still brighten up the look. I just find the colour very easy to wear and suits the weather as well as Winter is ending and it's coming into Spring soon. The shade itself is quite balanced, there is no overwhelming blue or red undertones which means the shade is quite versatile to a lot of skin tones.

 photo P8153877_zps4350edec.jpg
 photo P8153856_zpsa6185151.jpg

Overall, I'm utterly obsessed and can see myself reaching for this lipstick over and over again until I've completely run out! Fun fact, I actually forgot I even had this shade in collection until I was fumbling through my lipstick draw trying to find the perfect shade for a wedding I attended last weekend! You just never know when you're going to find a gem.

I purchased mine from Cherry Culture or you can find NYX products are selected Target stores in Australia!


13 comments :

  1. Thanks for the review! Where did you get this?
    Nail Masque

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, this lipstick looks and sounds stunning! I must say, that shade actually looks quite unique, because it's not quite red, pink or plum but a mix of all with a dusty quality? Gorgeous! I really should check out these lipsticks!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful shade! I haven't tried any of their Black Label lipsticks before, but I'm gonna have to check these out. The formula looks amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it look gorgeous on your lips! I might have to give these a try!

    Melanie | melaniface.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty and unique shade! It's like a darker red-mauveish colour? I quite like the formula of these as well, although I don't have the best shades.

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goshhhh! I must have it! Even though it's not a crazy colour it actually looks so unique and I definitely don't have anything like it in my collection. I really need to increase my NYX collection because I've only heard amazing things about their products and I need to try it all out! Thanks for the review! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow~ I LOVE NYX lipsticks~ They're so amazing. I've never seen these Black Label lipsticks before. But now that I know of them, I will most definitely check them out!


    Love, Aimee
    My Blog | Please Join my Blogiversary International Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really good color. I love it. :3
    Bai, Shiki

    http://beautifuljrockdevil.blogspot.hu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love this shade - definitely perfect for autumn/winter!

    Yuen @ The Craziest Paradigm - fashion, beauty + lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great winter colour. I've used their eyeliner whcih is pretty great especially for the price

    Pixelhazard | Bright Green Laces |

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dawn,
    I can’t blame you, Nyx lippies are really adorable.
    xo,
    ~Pauline @Nyx Philippines

    ReplyDelete
  12. This colour is amazing, love it!

    x

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!