31 Aug 2014

First Impressions + Swatches: TARTE Rainforest After Dark Palette


Tarte products have been the talk of the town for the past year or so and I certainly understand why. I recently jumped on the band wagon and started experimenting with a few Tarte goodies and boy, oh boy I don't think I will be stopping anytime soon.

In the midst of my Tarte rampage I picked up the Limited Edition Rainforest After Dark Coloured Clay Eye and Check Palette. I thought I would do a quick first impression post about this product as I know a lot of you beauty lovers have been eyeing this palette out. So let’s jump straight into the review (oh and get ready for some close up shots that look almost identical)!

 photo P8163886_zps69fd75dc.jpg

If you're not familiar the Tarte Rainforest After Dark Eye & Cheek Palette houses nine products - one highlighter, one bronzer, one blush, and six eyeshadows encased in a circular shape palette. The design of this palette is remarkable, I usually tend to favor simple, sleek packaging but something about this palette is just so aesthetically appealing. The palette has a 'bark/tree' like resemblance pattern with a snake with a purple jeweled eye on the cover. The only downside to this palette involves not having the names of the product printed/labelled on the palette itself therefore forcing you to keep the plastic insert until the end of time. 

(On a side note and also a fun fact - I immediately thought of Samuel L Jackson's Snakes on a Plane quote "Enough and enough. I have had it with these motherf**king snakes on this motherf**king plane". Did anyone else have the same flashback there?)

 photo P8163882_zpsc8ec8340.jpg
 photo P8163883_zpsc87f26e8.jpg
 photo P8163885_zps5ea63013.jpg
 photo P8163887_zpsfe38ec7e.jpg

The Rainforest After Dark Palette includes plum and golden tones which are fairly neutral which are not too cool nor warm making the palette quite versatile and suitable for most skins tones. It's a nice palette for someone who likes softer, muted colours - which is definitely right up my alley. I took the liberty of taking a close up photo of the products with the plastic sheet that has the names so you guys know exactly what I'm referring to when I go through each product.

Champagne: A white gold highlight with subtle golden shimmer. I find that highlighters are the best way to judge a palette, I mean if the highlight alone impresses you, you know that the rest of palette is going to be good. Champagne has decent colour payoff and the texture was buttery soft.

Park Ave. Princess: A medium-dark brown with subtle, warm undertones and a satin finish. The pigmentation of this bronzer was overwhelming good and is quite easy to blend out when applied to the skin. I was a little iffy at first as I did think it would be too light for contouring but it worked quite well with my NC30 skin tone, no muddiness at all.

Unleashed (Nude Rose): A light-medium warm matte rose. It had so-so pigmentation when swatched but the shade bloomed when applied with a brush. I have read a few bloggers dissatisfaction with this blush but I honestly don't have any complaints. I've been using Unleashed along side Park Ave Princess everyday since receiving this palette.

Bare to Explore (pink beige):  A pink toned beige with a matte finish. The colour payoff was decent and the shadow is quite blendable.

Make a Mauve (plum mauve): A medium-dark plum-brown also taupe with warm undertones.

Plum Away With Me (dark plum): A medium-dark plum with warm undertones and a frosted finish. The colour payoff for this shade was unbelievable and one of my favourites from the palette.

Up to No Gold (gold): A light-medium, molten gold with warm undertones and a metallic finish. Without a doubt the best shade in the palette in my opinion. The texture was silky smooth and the pigmentation is the through the roof.

Tan-gled Up in You (tan): A medium-dark camel brown with warm undertones and matte finish. This is a great transition shade as it blends effortlessly and is not powdery/chalky.

Don’t Turn A-Brown (dark brown): A dark matte brown. I found this shade to be slightly powdery but nothing you can't fix with just putting a little extra care during application to ensure no fallout.

 photo P8163889_zps307dc437.jpg
 photo P8163891_zps50f456d0.jpg
 photo P8163897_zpscbc6e372.jpg
 photo P8163892_zps5ae95f8b.jpg

I found that all the products in this palette were very workable and quite impressive when it came to longevity and pigmentation. Overall, I'm very happy that I purchased this palette and I've been reaching for it almost every day.

This palette retails for $38 in the US and can be found at Sephora, Ulta and any other places that stocks Tarte Products. I however purchased mine for $49.95 from MYQTY.com which is an Australian website that stocks a few lavish American brands. The prices on this website are a little inflated but it is definitely worth paying a little more as you will receive the goodies straight away. Also the shipping is quite reasonable and would probably weigh up as being the same price if you used a parcel forwarding service anyway!

I hope you guys liked this quick impression review - let me know your thoughts on the products!

10 comments :

  1. Aah, this palette is stunning! I really love the packaging, and good to hear that the powders themselves are great quality. Seriously hoping they'll bring Tarte over with Sephora, and that we'll get all the future LE stuff!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so gorgeous! I've been looking at this and lemming after it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Asian (Singaporean Chinese) and I've always been afraid to try purple/plum eyeshadow : / Due to our fair (yellow) skin.. This palette looks pretty, but I'm so afraid of purple eyeshadow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been eyeing on this gorgeous palette for a while. The plum purple shades will be perfect for fall here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, this palette looks gorgeous! I'd never really paid much attention to Tarte products because they're not widely available here, but now I think you've started something.... Maybe when Sephora arrives! Thanks for the 'first impressions' and swatches :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been lusting after this palette for ages. I went to a few Sephora in Singapore looking for it but they were all out of stock. Make me want to cry haha.

    Kah-Feh Yen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so lucky to get a hold of this gorgeous palette when I was overseas, for AU$40! Such a bargain and so close to the US price which I am so happy about! The shades are absolutely gorgeous and I find they are nicely pigmented. I'm like you as well- I like sleek and minimalist packaging but the Rainforest in the Dark is just beautiful and feels sturdy and luxurious. So glad I picked this up, no regrets at all!

    http://reveriebelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. the palette and shades looks really pretty and I can see myself wearin all those shades ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  9. this palette is so lush looking! also thanks for the heads up on the website - I've been dying to try Tarte but hadn't found somewhere that stocked them for a reasonable price :D

    Bambi x
    http://bambikailand.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you are looking for a reputable contextual ad company, I recommend that you take a look at Chitika.

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!