25 Mar 2014

How I Clean my Makeup Brushes

One of the best feeling in the world is using a freshly cleaned makeup brush. Not only does it apply products 100 times better, it feels as soft as a baby's butt and smells fab - pretty much an all over win-win situation. Now I don't know about you but I actually like to clean my brushes on a regular basis. Yes, I know I'm a freak. Most people find the process of cleaning their brushes a massive chore, but I find it quite cathartic as it's extremely important to regularly clean your brushes to avoid bacteria build up. So I thought I would share with you my quick and simple method of cleaning my brushes - I hope you guys enjoy!

 photo P3232930_zps2bd840a3.jpg

Just before I get into my process of cleaning my brushes - I just thought I would show you how I store them.  I separate my brushes according to use, for example I currently store them as either foundation, powder or eye brushes. As you can see I have foundation and powder brushes stored in IKEA pots and my eye brushes stored in a clear, square tub from Kikki K. 

 photo P3232933_zps80ef51c0.jpg
 photo P3232935_zps3605ad63.jpg

Lets get on on the brush cleaning - there are three actual products I use to clean my brushes 1) a plate (I choose an aesthetically pleasing tea saucepan for the photos) 2) MAC brush cleanser and 3) baby shampoo. 

I truly believe using the MAC cleanser has shorten my cleaning time by almost half. It's super quick at removing most of the outer/middle layer of bacteria/product and it's also quite gentle.  However, to remove all product and to condition my brushes I usually wash them a second time with baby shampoo and it's also quite fun to watch the shampoo lather up. 

 photo P3232936_zps6ab46be5.jpg

I find that dense foundation brushes take the longest to clean as there is so much unused product packed into the brush from continuous use. To speed the process up I firstly dispense a little (a little goes a long way!) of the MAC brush cleanser into a plate, dip a dampened brush in and mix it around to remove all the excess product. I then wash the brush under a slightly running tap to make sure I have removed all the cleanser and excess gunk. 

 photo P3232940_zpsdd04285a.jpg

If I find that the brush is still dirty (in most cases it is) I will take the baby shampoo to finally remove the rest of the dirt/product - this step may need to be repeated due to how dirty the brush is. 

 photo P3232950_zpse397bb1a.jpg

Once finished cleaning my brushes I place them onto a rolled up towel with the end of the brushes facing down to ensure the water isn't running through the handle of the brush, keeping the glue and the bristles intact. I have never used brush guards when using my brushes, as I find that they are a little gimmicky. They are definitely not a necessity when cleaning your brushes to keep them in shape. I find that most (if not all) of the brushes I own dry into it's natural shape without the help of a brush guard. 

I hope this was helpful to some people and interesting to read. Definitely nothing new or different about my cleaning process compared to thousands of others out there, but I hope this reminds some of you to wash your brushes soon and more often! 



21 comments :

  1. That's a great idea about the baby shampoo. Do you think I can use just the baby shampoo alone or does it need to be combined with a makeup remover? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's a great idea! Thanks for such useful post!!

    http://fairyland111.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your idea is great and very useful...
    Thank you... ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baby shampoo...i have to try that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been eyeing up that MAC cleanser for a while but didn't know if it was worth it if I used baby shampoo and the dr. broner magic soap. But it does seem to work really well for spot cleansing x

    Daphne | subgenre of a dream | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just use shampoo that I use on my head for deep cleaning and alcohol for spot cleaning.

    RIKKI POYNTER
    // RIKKI POYNTER, MAKEUP!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never tried the MAC brush cleaner, but I think I'm now going to give it a go :)

    www.voguevandal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has reminded me to clean my brushes...they are absolutely filthy! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always struggle with cleaning the centre of my sigma f80 brush! I might check out the MAC brush cleanser because at the moment, I only use baby shampoo! Thanks for the post! :)

    Melissa | Lemonmel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh using baby shampoo - now that's a new idea! I used to think cleaning my brushes was a massive hassle and now I just keep reminding myself of the bacteria that's most likely stuck deep within each other them! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great advice. I have always cleaned them with baby gentle shampoo and it works great, but I should try something more specific. So I would try your advice.I also have a question. i have always heard that it is better if the brushes dry without touching anything and you make them just lay on a towel. Is it because the use of a specific product? or it doesn't matter?

    ReplyDelete
  13. cleaning your makeup brushes is the most important thing ever! I like cleaning my brushes and whenever I don't have enough time I use a daily brush cleanser (don't know if this is the proper name) from Inglot

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the advice and the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the tips, very helpfull! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the very helpful tips!

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice tips! and that is a very very pretty floral plate, i couldn't take my eyes off it *U*

    jessica bharata

    ReplyDelete
  18. great post, ,,, i usually used the baby shampo clean my brush..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing. I will integrate baby shampoo into my brush cleaning routine. It's not always enough to just clean with the brush shampoo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never tried MAC brush cleanser..
    and I think it's a good product! Thanks for the tips ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a great idea! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!