26 Jan 2014

The Infuriating Maybelline Master Shape Eyebrow Pencil


This is going to be one interesting review post. So, after writing up my review on this product I came to the realisation that Maybelline have actually changed the formula of the product I was originally writing about. When you read this you will find that subsequently from confessing my eternal love this product I saw that the new 'back-up' products (the ones pictured in this blog post) I had bought of the same product had changed. Although it's labelled the same thing they have completely changed the product. So my innocent, loving review turned into a hateful rampage. I hope you will enjoy, even though I now have to find a new holy grail eye brow product.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

One of the most important (and overlooked) steps of completing any makeup look is filling in your brows. I cannot stress to you enough just how significant filled in and/or groomed brows can transform your entire makeup look compared to sparse brows. Now, I don't know about you, but putting on my eyebrows in the morning is my favourite part of my makeup routine. 

 photo P1262630_zps7e10a257.jpg

Now this isn’t to say you must always fill your brows in - you in no way need to do anything to your brows if they are perfectly shaped and full. However, if you got the (and pardon my wording here, I simply cannot think of a better word) shit end of the stick and have sparse light brows like me then you will unfortunately have fill them in to ensure your makeup look is 100% completed. Obviously, you don’t need to fill in your brows if you don’t feel the need to but I find that if you’re wearing quite heavy eye shadow, having more defined brows can even out and make your look more structured.

Unlucky for me, I had to find out the hard and embarrassing way of realising it was time to invest in some good brow products. There's nothing like looking through old photos and realising you had little-to-no brows compared to the person next to you. So now that I am more wiser and much more filled in (see what I did there?) I think I have finally found a brow product that best suits me - the Maybelline Master Shape Eye Brow Pencil in Deep Brow.

 photo P1262625_zps0ce31e49.jpg

I've quite a few brow products e.g Elf Brow Kit, Rimmel Brow Pencil, Too Faced Brow Envy, Stila Brow Set etc. but I feel as though nothing compares to this particular product. I was quite deterred with pencil brow products since my first experimentation with the Rimmel Brow Pencil as I found it was just too harsh and unnatural looking. So I decided to test out brow powders and was instantly hooked, however the only problem I had with these powders is that they seem to smudge and fade away the longer you wear them. I found that most brow powders would fade away within 7-8 hours of wear, which is quite frustrating when you constantly have plans after finishing work!

 photo P1262626_zps14becf08.jpg

And then a miracle happens - after lusting over the Anastasia Brow Wiz and Brow Powder Duo for the longest time I accidentally stumbled across a beauty blog that gave the Maybelline Master Shape Pencil rave reviews and comparing it along the likes of the Anastasia Brow Wiz. Obviously this made me want to instantly get my hands on the Maybelline version as it's much more accessible to me and more affordable. 

But that's enough waffling, let's get onto the important stuff: 

The Maybelline Master Shape Brow Pencil offers great natural colour to ensure that your brows aren't too overpowering - I truly believe I found the perfect shade to match my dark hair colour. The pencil itself has an interesting wax-like texture so not only do you get subtle colour for filling in your brows you also get the pleasure of knowing your brows won't be moving around. The pencil is also a duo ended product with a spooli on the other end which is quite convenient and helps tremendously with blending out and brushing hairs into place. I just cannot say enough good things about this eye brow product!

 photo P1262628_zps2fdb27cf.jpg

Although, I have seen truckloads of bad reviews from other people saying they hated this product and thought it was absolute rubbish, I do think you should give it a go if you're looking for a new brow product. Especially considering Priceline and Chemist Warehouse (Australian pharmacies for all those international readers) often have 40-50% cosmetics sales. 

So I just realised that Maybelline have changed the formula of this eyebrow product. The one that is pictured in this blog post is a new one I just opened to take photos with as it's new and decent looking (unlike mine which is busted and quite well loved). The old one I had been using has a plastic-like base to it whereas this new one is much more of a regular pencil. So I'm not sure if it will achieve the same results - I did swatch both on my hand before writing this blog post and found that the old one is much more wax like, and the new one is more of a standard pencil. 

O.K so I just tested out the new version of this product and I'm not very impressed at all. The wax texture that I loved of the old version has completely vanished making the new version much more difficult to apply and perfect. I actually cannot believe this has happened, especially when I'm currently writing the actual blog post! Anger and disappointment are the biggest understatement to how I'm feeling right now.  

I guess this just goes to show how many people disliked the wax base of the old version, I find that since Maybelline have removed the wax base the brow pencil is very similar to the Rimmel Brow Pencil. I'm quite annoyed at the fact that I now have two new back-ups of this product sitting in my draw that I probably won't get any use out of. 

 photo P1262620_zpsf99121f9.jpg

Well this was a massive fail review as I was reviewing the old version of the Maybelline Master Shape Eyebrow Pencil. The photo above (also excuse my bare face, I didn't feel like wearing foundation) is also misleading as it was the results of the old version. Ahhh, in serious disbelief at the moment. 

Let me know in a comment if you've tried either the old or new version of this pencil. Also let me know if a brand has completely changed a product you once loved into something mediocre!


5 comments :

  1. I haven't tried either of these, that sucks that they've changed them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT?! That is the weirdest thing!
    Why would they take a step back and make it a worse product than it's already good version?! Such a shame, because I have the Anastasia Brow Wiz and it is SO good. I was excited when I saw that you read it was comparable because we can't get it here. SUCH a shame! Damn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow how frustrating! I was actually going to pick this up soon! :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw... i was going to buy it too!! boo Maybelline boo...oh well thnaks for letting me know

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife loved it so much. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!