24 Dec 2013

Review: Urban Decay & Oz Glinda Palette

I'm pretty sure I'm the last person to write a blog post about this palette but I thought I might as well write one anyways considering how much I love it. I was quite surprised by how fast I likened towards this palette considering I quite often shy away from pink and purple eyeshadows. 

The Limited Edition Urban Decay's Oz The Great and Powerful Glinda Palette includes 6 eyeshadows, a 24/7 Glide On eye pencil and a Super-Saturated High Gloss Lip Colour all for the special price of $60 AUD. 


 photo PB282288_zpsb57bfd70.jpg


Based on the same concept of UD's Build Your Own Palette the eyeshadows in the Glinda Palette can also be popped out and swapped with other UD single shadows. This kind of defeats the whole purpose of the palette, considering it specifically states the palette name etc, but if you're looking for a way to collect some UD single shadows without buying another Build Your Own Palette this is a great two-in-one product. 


 photo PB282289_zpsf7edf6f3.jpg


The packaging gets a massive A++ in my books. Not only does it look fabulous with the magical iridescent hues, it also is very sturdy and compact. I was actually surprised to see how small it was in real life as I assumed it would be bigger. Nevertheless, it's slim stature makes it a great palette to travel with. The Glinda Palette packaging reminds me of my primary school days as it brings back memories of my beloved metal pencil cases (if you're asian, you'll definitely know what I'm talking about here) but obviously much less embarrassing to look at. 


 photo PB282294_zps920e6a9e.jpg


Unfortunately the Glinda Super-Saturated High-Gloss Lip Colour (boy, what a mouthful) doesn't actually fit inside the palette itself, but is just an added extra of the box it comes in. So if you wanted to bring the gloss with you, you would have to add it into your actual makeup bag. Which, of course isn't a big deal but I would have liked to have it inside the palette to make it more travel-friendly and universal. 


With this topic in mind, the Glinda Lip Colour (2.8g) is a lovely light sheer nude/beige shade that once applied to the lips is a 'your-lips-but-better' shade. The pencil applies quite pigmented and very even with only a few swipes across the lips to reach full opacity. The consistency of the pencil does have a slight tackiness but nothing that resembles a horrid lipgloss feel, it surprisingly feels very comfortable on the lips. My lips didn't feel dry or chapped until about the 3rd hour of wear (after excessive amount of wind being whooshed in my face) and the colour was also long lasting. I can certainly see this pencil becoming one of my new favourites. 


 photo PB282290_zps1561ce25.jpg
 photo PB282291_zps8763127a.jpg


As mentioned before this palette contains 6 brand new eyeshadows, two of which are 'duo-shades':

    Tornado - a rich, dark purple with pink-red undertones with a frosted finish
    Aura (2-in1) - both are duochromes the first being iridescent white with blue cast and the second is an iridescent white with pink cast
    Magic - a pink-lavender with a golden shimmer with a satin finish
    Illusion - a soft peach with warm, golden undertones with a frosted, metallic finish
    Oz (2-in1) - first is a gold shimmer with gold and silver micro-glitters and the second is a silver shimmer with silver glitter
    South - a dark taupe with a frosted, metallic finish

As with all UD eyeshadows they were buttery soft to touch and have the absolute best pigmentation. However my photos do not give them any justice, please take my word for it and the pictures from other bloggers, that these are one of the best on the market. The only ones I thought were a little chalkier than the others was Aura but I think that's due to the actually finish that they have and the effect they produce. 

Due to the overload of glitter in Oz, I did notice some fallout when applying the shades but this can easily be avoided by carefully patting the shadow or placing a tissue underneath the eye when applying. I didn't have any other problems with the other shades - my favourite (obviously) is South as it hits closest to my heart being the most neutral shade of the bunch. 

As with other UD shadows again (Naked 2 in particular), I didn't need a primer to achieve outstanding pigmentation and extra long-lasting wear. Blending was effortless and creasing non-existent - the formula of UD eyeshadows are one of the best I've ever used. 


 photo PB282299_zpsfbf8a457.jpg
 photo PB282308_zps8837cf76.jpg

Another surprising factor I like about this palette is the countless looks I have been able to create. Whether it be something as subtle as using Illusion and South, or glamming it up with a little bit of Oz, or creating a seductive smoking eye using Tornado, it is a very universal palette. 

 photo PB282301_zpscd761725.jpg

Moving onto the Rockstar 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil - this was actually the most exciting product for me in this palette as I haven't had the opportunity to try the infamous UD pencils before. Rockstar is a stunning deep purple/eggplant shade that is a great alternative to wearing normal black eyeliner. Boy of boy, did this live up to it's hype - the colour payoff was of course amazing as it achieved full opacity in once swipe and it last all day on the lids. Even after hours of wear the product didn't smudge nor fade. Rockstar is fast becoming a staple in my everyday routine and has pretty much convinced me that I need all the 24/7 Glide-On Pencils. 


 photo PB282304_zps545f1629.jpg


Overall, I'm very impressed with this palette (I will probably say this about all UD products) and I'm very fortunate and lucky to have received this one for free. I actually won this palette from a giveaway held by Kristine over at Hissycat Krissie, so a big thank you for this amazing prize.


On another note, if you're thinking of getting your hands on this palette you better act quick as this is a limited edition palette and it's pretty much almost sold out/discontinued on most websites! I do know that BeautyBay still has them in stock. 


What are your thoughts on the UD and Oz palettes? 



10 comments :

  1. That's lovely! What a coincidence we just saw Oz the other night. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice palette with great colours! Lots of pigment! Some with shimmers! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... glinda look for everyone. love urban decay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shimmer of the shades!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This palette has such pretty colours!! Hahaahaa oh those metal pencil tins. I actually bought one for my nephew for Christmas lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I might have to pick this up - the shades are gorgeous! (plus it's limited edition haha)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky girl :D that champaign/ gold color is so beautiful <3
    I am really not a big fan of pink, but I am thinking about getting an urban decay palette! so tempted

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love Urban Decay palettes! Nice buy!

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!