31 Aug 2013

Review: MAC Mineralise Skinfinish Natural in Medium Plus

Powder is an oily girls best friends. Hence I'm always interested in trying out new powders to find the one that perfectly controls my oily complexion. Most frequently I’ve found that a majority of powders that are excellent at keeping my skin matte and holding my liquid foundation/concealer in place cause my skin appear cakey. Whilst on the other hand those that look natural make me look oily within two hours. I just cannot win. So I decided I would give the Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Medium Plus (a nice match for MAC NC30 skintones) a go and see how it matched up to the ones I’ve used previously. Hoping, praying and wishing it would be better. 


 photo P8120415_zps5219e9cf.jpg


First and foremost I just want to say I love MAC Mineralize Skinfinishes - whether it be blushes, powders, whatever - based on the fact that they last for agesss. You could seriously use one product everyday for 6 months and barely put a dent in it. Even looking at my powder now (and other blushes I own) I honestly would not be able to tell that it has been used. I would truly believe that it was brand new in the box.


 photo P8120419_zps5766f2fa.jpg

The powder itself is very, very finely milled and it gives you the perfect natural (demi matte) finish. It seriously makes your skin look flawless and airbrushes when applied over your foundation or even BB Cream/tinted moisturiser. Being such a lightweight powder, you cannot 'over do it' and make yourself look cakey. However the beautiful finish only lasts 2 hours on me ..in the winter time and probably a lot less during the hot, sweltering summer time. My T-zone area becomes exceedingly oily causing my foundation to fade in those areas. 

I found that the powder works best for my skin if I set my t-zone with an actual mattifying powder (Rimmel Stay Matte) and just use the Mineralize Skinfinish on the outer portion of my face. I also thought I should mention that the powder applies best with the ELF Flat Top Powder brush rather than a normal domed shaped powder brush. 

 photo P8120417_zps39decbaa.jpg
 photo P8120422_zpsd7d9741b.jpg

I've also heard through the grapevine that you can actually use these Mineralize Skinfinishes as light foundations as well when applied wet  - and of course using MAC's Fix+ for best results. Unfortunately I haven't used this as a foundation before (but very keen on trying) so I cannot comment on how well it performs. If any of you have tried this method please let me know if it is any good!

 photo P8120424_zpsde3406f6.jpg

Overall I do really look the concept of this powder but I am quite disappointed that it didn't keep the oiliness at bay. I do think that this is a potential holy grail item for all those with normal complexions (well obviously as it is already a cult favourite), but for us oily skin gals it just will not cut it. Retailing at a whooping $47 here in Australia (lucky I bought mine for $30 on the US website) I suggest opting for the good ol' Rimmel Stay Matte Powder for $10 instead. 

Have you tried the MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Naturals yet?



28 comments :

  1. i haven't tried this product and i will value your opinion on staying with the Rimmel Stay Matte <3 maybe try swapping it with your friends? :)

    Carla Cee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried any of the MSFs but I really want to!

    Beauty for the Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww too bad it didn't work for you. And it cost a pretty penny too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know that you could use these as a light foundation, I wouldn't have thought that in a million years. Keen to see if you try it :)

    Amy x
    -A Little Boat Sailing-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn that sucks that it doesn't keep oils at bay especially for the price!

    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always been so tempted to purchase this. Thank you for your review. I am so oily atm so I might give this a miss. I will still using Rimmel's Stay Matte and Maybelline's Dream Matte powder =)
    xxx Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have dry skin, not oily, but I still love using powders too. It makes my makeup last longer. It's interesting that you mentioned it can be used as light foundation when wet. I've never heard that before. It looks like a great product, and something worth investing in! Thanks for the review :)

    www.hudasbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually have been lemming this for the longest time but just couldn't decide if its worth it but I gues I'll just pass since I have oily skin and I might have issues with the oilines. Thanks for sharing ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this powder in Medium and I've used it a few times... but on this hot humid weather it doesn't work just as I was expecting... I'll use it more in the Fall and Winter.
    I should try this as a foundation too and see how it goes

    ReplyDelete
  10. i didn't try this powder ,maybe i will buy it in the future ,thanks for your review

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww.. that's such a let down from MAC! So unfortunate that it didn't work for you, maybe it will work for my dry skin, I've been dying to try it out! Thanks for the review hun <3

    NEW POST: www.chriissydollxo.com
    BLOGGER GFC | BLOGLOVIN'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never tried MAC products, the powder looks good, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. baby costumes
    nice post thanks for sharing useful tips

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always been curious about this product...sorry to hear it was a bit of a let down for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never try msf before.. now I'm interested

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never tried any .Maybe I will try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pricey for me, plus I have oily/combination skin, I think I'd skip this. Thanks for the nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing though it sucks that it didnt work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've tried so many powders and i still haven't found one that does the job for keeping oiliness at bay, offering slight coverage for touch ups while not appearing cakey. The only msf products i've tried is a blush and an eyeshadow, both of which i love.
    Shame this one didn't work for you though.

    à la foliee

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks really good, it's a shame it did not worked out :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Never tried this before, but it looks quite good - it's a shame it didn't work for you though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i have never tried mac products and i am forst time reading a review how mac didn't work for them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice review. I wanna try this but the price is expensive for me :[

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!