7 May 2013

Review: Tangle Teezer (Is It Worth The Hype?)

I'm pretty sure all you beauty lovers out there have heard about The Tangle Teezer. But if you haven't here's a little run down: the Tangle Teezer claims to "Tangle Teezer Original professional detangling hairbrush is loved by hairdressers and used in professional hair salons. It's a super smooth operator that works the minute hair is lathered and rinsed. Glides through wet, vulnerable and colour treated hair with no pulling, tugging or yanking. Hair peace at last!

Probably about 90% of the blogging/YouTube community have tried the Tangle Teezer and love it - so naturally I wanted to try it out for myself. So, is it worth the hype?

 photo P5069413_zpsf5c0d5d0.jpg


First off, let me explain to you a little about my hair. I used to have quite thick and healthy hair but after the common angst teen period of my life and about 20 different occasions where I dyed my hair (once I was bright red!) my once thick and healthy hair has turned thin and brittle. Having thin hair also means that my hair will become tangled at the slightly movement and is more prone to breakage when I brush my hair. Luckily for me my hair is currently slowly repairing itself. This is where The Tangle Teezer comes into play. 

After reading tonnes of RAVE review about the magical handless brush I decided to give and pick up from ASOS. 

 photo P5069414_zps608f4b3e.jpg


There are a few ways to use the Tangle Teezer:

  • Use in the shower on wet hair to distribute the conditioner evenly throughout the hair.
  • Use after you've exited the shower to rid the hair of any tangles and knots.
  • Use after you've applied any leave-in treatments, serums and heat protectors to evenly distribute the product through your hair. 
  • Works on all hair types. 
  • Works on wet, dry and synthetic hair.

Okay now onto the good part. Is this my new holy grail brush? ....Unfortunately no.


 photo P5069415_zps4225f109.jpg

I had so many high hopes for this brush but nothing I did ever worked for me. I used it on my dry hair - nothing spectacular. I used it in the shower - nothing special. I used it on my damp hair - same as any other brush. 

Now I don't know whether I'm the only one who doesn't like it (probably a very minority) but I just can't seem to understand why so many people out there love this brush. To be completely honest, I find that it's HARDER to use the Tangle Teezer than a regular brush. I don't see any less breakage and it doesn't glide smoothly through my hair. If anything, it takes LONGER to brush out tangles with the Tangle Teezer than my normal brush. 

I also dislike that the brush doesn't have a handle. The brush itself is annoying to hold and I feel as though I'm using a horse grooming brush on myself.

I've tried to love this brush, but I always end up being unimpressed. So I think it's time to call it quits. If you want to give The Tangle Teezer a try head over to ASOS and pick it up. I would love to hear your thoughts.


Is The Tangle Teezer worth the hype for you?


23 comments :

  1. I was considering buying it but eventually I gave up. I have really really thick and this brush seems like it will work for someone with thinner hair but I will stick to the old fashioned comb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really understood the hype with the Tangle Teezer! I have the Michel Mercier Detangling brush which is amazing for removing knots in your hair, and does it ever so gently without any snagging. It's so easy to use and has a handle as opposed to the Tangle Teezer which doesn't :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried this but I think I'll skip it rather ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the Tangle Teezer and have loved it for years. It's so gentle on my hair and does detangle it, whether it's straight or curly, dry or wet. But it would be much better with a handle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a shame that it doesn't work for you. I love it and I can't imagine using any other hair brushes every again. I do agree about them handle, though. It would definitely come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't understand the hype about these! I was considering buying one, however i then thought it is probs the same as combing or brushing my hair!

    www.indigogirl1.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard the hype too but never tried it before! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know a lot of people have been talking about this but I don't think it's worth the hype but I haven't tried it. Shame it didn't work so great for you

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this for my hair, especially when I had the bleach in the ends which always tangled up and this helped for that! It's a shame it doesn't work for you. I have to agree about the no handle part, I am always dropping mine! I've also used it on other people and it made their hair look instantly more shinier as it distributed the natural oils. Did you notice anything like that? xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I almost fell for the hype until a lovely #bbloggers chat had me rethinking it. Everyone who loved it just said it was "awesome!" as those who weren't big fans actually gave solid reasons and it didn't seem like it was for me. I get SERIOUS knots and a flimsy *horse groomer* (love that, haha) didn't seem like it would do the trick. Thanks for being so honest and giving a thorough review!

    - Jess
    The Mod Mermaid

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for the review. I was contemplating geting one but I think it's kinda expensive since we have to order it online and all. I've made my mind up not to get one now!

    vodka-latte.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the review! I used something similar before and found it didn't do very much for my hair either.

    PS: I'm hosting a Suigo hair pack giveaway; hope you enter: http://www.underlockandkeyblog.com/2013/05/suigo-hair-review-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol it sounds like such a gimmick. I mean a hairbrush is a hairbrush right?
    I find that using a good conditioner is what makes a big difference in tangle-free hair.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't say this was one I was ever tempted to try. I agree with you - it looks like a horse or dog brush!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Horse-grooming brush! That's what I thought too when I saw the first pic.

    Whenever I try (and get disappointed with) raved products, I always wonder if there's some secret method I don't know or if I'm doing it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  16. great post!
    what about follow each other?
    let me know :)
    have a nice day!
    xx
    veronica

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't understand the hype either...I mean, it's just a hairbrush?! It seems a bit overpriced as well, probably not something I'll try out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sad to hear it wasnt worth it but glad to know just for future purposes! Thanks for the review!

    Www.totallybebe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful Blog!
    Check out my blog?
    http://kellyanngonsalves.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha, yeah I thought it was a gimmick too. Aren't all hairbrushes the same? I like mine though.
    <3 Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was actually literally going to buy this! I was wondering how a brush could be so 'spectacular'. Thank goodness we have honesty like this around haha!

    http://talisbury.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't think they're worth the hype either I find that my £1 alternative works great! Check out my blog to find out where I got it from and my thoughts on it!

    Shannon x

    (Fangirls&Foundations)

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!