11 Feb 2013

Review: NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Black Bean, Cottage Cheese & Bronze

Ever since I started my infatuation with cosmetics there has been one product that I'd dying to test out and use - the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils. I remember watching my first ever make-up tutorial on Youtube (Jen of frmheadtotoe's smokey eyes for monolids) and discovered these amazingly inexpensive but fabulous pencils I was hooked. At that time I wasn't sure of where to purchase them besides Ebay, so it delayed me from picking these up straight away. Nevertheless, 2 years and 6 months later (I purchased these a couple of months ago) I finally bought these bad boys from Cherry Culture.

 photo P2038720_zps8a504f04.jpg
As time went on more and more people started to praise how much these Jumbo Eye Pencils were a steal, so by the time I got them I really wanted these to work like a charm and not be just another product not worth the hype. Fortunately, everyone was right and these are in fact astonishingly pigmented and are great for eyeshadow bases! 

 photo P2038721_zpsc1e9695b.jpg

However a downfall to these pencils are that they do crease if you put them past the lid. So I would definitely wouldn't use these in place of a primer (MAC's groundwork, TooFaced Shadow Insurance), but something to use after your primer and before eyeshadow to make the shadow pop and look more intensified. Another factor I noticed about these little sticks of joy is that they are easy to blend but also a little oily. I found that if I just used the Jumbo Eye Pencil over a primer it would make my eyelids appear oily and shinny, which isn't a very attractive look in my opinion. So the most practical way of using these are eyeshadow bases. 

 photo P2038723_zps532509c6.jpg


I only have three Jumbo Eye Pencils at the moment - I'm still contemplating whether I want need more - the colours I have are Black Bean, Cottage Cheese and Bronze. 

Black Bean: The perfect product to create a deep smokey eye look. If you want something to be black, look no further than this.
Cottage Cheese: A slight shimmery ivory shade - if you want one with no shimmer i suggest you opt for Milk instead.
Bronze: I think this one speaks for itself. 

 photo P2038727_zps6249d0c7.jpg

As for packaging these are quite terrible. Like most others who own NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils the lids of mine are starting to crack and become quite dirty. But I guess you can't expect the most amazing packaging quality when you're paying less than $5 for the product. Other than that slight disappointment, these are wonderful and I do recommend you check these out if you haven't already!

 photo P2038729_zpsf7601ba1.jpg

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there are 28 shades available in the Jumbo Eye Pencils and they retail for about $4-$5 depending on where you live. I purchased mine for about $3.50 from Cherry Culture as they were having a sale at the time (which they frequently do) so I suggest you buy them from there if you aren't lucky enough to have NYX available in your country. 

Have you tried NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils before? What do you think?

xo



52 comments :

  1. these look so pigmented!!Going to check as I always have them in my wish list!!
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look lovelyyy!

    http://jodie-melissa.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to try these out too, NYX do some really great products!! I like their soft matte lip cremes and their eyeshadow bases in the pots are nice too! Elf have also just bought out a product just like this and I'm loving them at the moment!
    Eleanor x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only have Cottage Cheese because Black Bean and Milk are always sold out locally. I agree, the packaging is ugh. My lid is cracked more than halfway x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so pretty. I have been wanting to try these for a while :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. they look so nice and lovely! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I own Cottage Cheese and have only ever used it as a base. I agree with the packaging it is horrible.

    Sarah
    morethanadored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The NYX Jumbo Pencils is a staple for me. Great review.
    Beauty Makeup Addict

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same problem with the packaging, it's so frustrating that the lid would crack quite quickly! I own the one in milk and it's fantastic as a base! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Milk" is my absolutely favourite. It makes my eyeshadows look so much brighter. I also use it on my inner corners, it's one of my fave products ever!

    Agreed about the packaging though, my lid has fully split into half lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a couple of these and French Fries is my favourite. I agree, they work best as a base.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I set my heart on these after watching youtube videos too, but I have since lost interest a bit. Your post inspired me again, oh no... :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I <3 the jumbo eye pencils! I think I need bronze now, I have those other 2 and love them... french fries is also a gorgeous bronzey/ coppery colour. I hate how the lid cracks though, so frustrating! I think they are ok to use past the crease as long as its only a tiny amount, I dot it over the lid & blend upwards and never have a problem with creasing.... & I buy mine from a seller on ebay, joycosmetics (N/A) and she has heaps of great deals and I've never had a problem!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a few of these but I probably use milk the most :) I also use Yoghurt under Sidecar from the Naked 1 palette, I find that it really adheres the glitter well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love NYX jumbo pencils!! they're such amazing eyeshadow bases, i want to collect all of them, hehe. great thing about NYX is that they always have a wide range of colour selection :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look like they have such a nice creamy formula which reminds me of the Australis 10 hour pencil and Rimmel's Scandal eyes pencil. What a shame that it looks shiny and oily on the eyelids though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have the white one and a dark brown one, and I never use them! The packaging is so useless too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would really love to try black bean! they all look like gorgeous colours :) shame about the packaging x

    ReplyDelete
  19. These pencil are amazing. I love Bronze. :D x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have one of these pencils in Milk and I use it every day. I really want to get Black Bean next!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was really obsessed with these pencils at one point but I've come to realize they don't stay well on my lids! :p I like the idea of them though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always want to try the cottage cheese because a lot of beauty gurus use it! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  23. My cap cracked too :( Blackbean looks very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've always wanted a NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil. Especially the one in black. A trip to Sephora soon? :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. so pigmented, heard so many good reviews about this jumbo eye pencil :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those look so pretty! I like white!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the look of these! I've been meaning to get a few for a while but haven't gotten around to it yet. I've got French Fries on my wish list (partly because of the name) but I might have to add these too as well.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The white is perfect for bright colours!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I also hav Black Bean and I really like it!
    But the packaging is truly horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have the Bronze one and I love it, I use it to do a 'base' for the complete make-up. Don't love it using it as a single eyeshadow (:

    ReplyDelete
  31. fantastic this brand
    also in italy is well known

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ahh, I'll keep my eye out for these! I've always wanted to try pencil liners again; I've only tried it once and I liked how I could have more control over it as compared to a liquid liner. ;w;.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have the one in milk and I really like it. I makes the colours of my eyeshadows so much brighter!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'll love to try the strawberry milk colour.. the pink is great.. and I want to try the milk too

    ReplyDelete
  35. They look lovely, I like the bronze one.)

    ReplyDelete
  36. i like the bronzer,
    make my eyes looks warm :D

    ReplyDelete
  37. Really want to try the yogurt and lavender colour from this NYX Jumbo
    They are so cute colours, kind that i love so much
    thanks for this review :D

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love cottage cheese and bronze. They're highly pigmented! I need to add these to my list to get. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi i finally buy a rust colour from this NYX line
    thx for your review to give me details view about this lovely product
    such an affordable and good quality
    will make the review soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  40. I should try the black bean as primer to get intense dark color.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I've heard a bunch about these, but have never tried them myself because I have such oily lids and am afraid I'd have trouble with major creasing. Elf has a $2 version, and I might try those when they have 50% off sales, which is fairly often, I'd love to see a comparison between nyx and elf to see if there is any difference. Thanks for sharing with us! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. So lovely... i love eye makeup :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Totally agree with the packaging thing! I only have Milk and I really like it; on me it doesn't crease if I use it on the whole eye... the thing I don't like that much is that you need a very huge sharpener and it was really hard for me to get one that fits and works

    ReplyDelete
  44. it's been my wishlist for a long time :Dd

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!