28 Dec 2012

Review: IHANA Professional Brush Travel Set

As an early Christmas present my sister kindly gave me the Ihana Professional Brush Travel Set. Ihana was one of those brands that I constantly saw around online, but never intrigued me enough to actually take the time to look further into. However once my sister gave me this set this quickly turned around. I instantly fell in love with the brushes and the adorable packaging of this set - this desperately made me want to know more about the Ihana brand. So who is Ihana?


Ihana is an Australian brand (yay for us Aussies!) which is actually under the ownership of the Brands United Group who describe themselves to manufacture "products for those pursuing not only high quality and application, but also ethically sourced products." Ihana believe that because their consumers are trendy and up to date with fashion, they created quality brushes with distinctive designs. Ultimately they describe their products to be "young yet sophisticated, funky yet classy. They will exceed your expectations and you will wonder why it took this  long for quality to reach a new high."

So let's see if they hold up their end of the promise..



One thing is for sure - the packaging oozes with cuteness! Who doesn't like the cartoon- like bunnies with buttons for their eyes?! The case itself is made out of leather like material with the adorable bunny design stamped all over it. The case also has a button closure made out of leather and the Ihana embossed stamp in the bottom right hand corner. The material inside is just as cute as the outside with red polka dots on satin material. The case also has a netting compartment to keep the brushes in place. Overall, the packaging is too cute for words however the case feels a tad fragile. Being the clumsy and messy person I am, I can foretell that the case will be experiencing very traumatic events and I'm not sure whether the case and the brushes inside will be able to handle it. Of course, if you don't have the amazing qualities that I have (note the sarcasm) the case will last you a life time with no problems.




Now let's talk brushes - the Professional Travel Brush Set contains 5 "multifunctional" brushes. Ihana claims that because these brushes are multifunctional it eliminates the need to travel around with 20+ brushes. Although it doesn't state the name of the brushes in this kit (because they are multipurpose, hence not restricted to one name) I would say that the set includes a powder brush, an angled blush/bronzer brush, large fluffy eyeshadow brush, small shader brush and an angled eyeshadow/liner brush. 




The first thing I did notice about these was the unbelievably soft bristles of the brushes. These are without a doubt one of the softest brushes I've felt to date - I could seriously just stroke these brushes all day because they're so, so, so soft! The softness of these brushes are because they are made from "high grade" goats hair and not synthetic. The handle of the brushes are made from "solid natural wood" that has been lacquered to ensure longevity and sturdiness. I think the silver cap and wood handle make the brushes look simple and yet professional. 




The actual size of the brushes are quite good. I've seen a lot of travel sized brushes and more than half of them are so tiny and flimsy looking that it's a joke. Because travel sized brushes are made to be smaller and convenient to travel with, the bristles and the handle of the brushes are made to be compact. Most often though I find that manufacturers make them so small it's difficult to work with - fortunately Ihana have made the perfect sized travel brushes (in my opinion). They're definitely smaller than normal everyday use brushes, but not too small that they're difficult to work with. They fit perfectly in the palm of your hand!





I found that all the brushes included in this set were excellent at blending out powders especially the 'angled powder' brush. The 'large fluffy' brush is great for applying shadows all over the lids and the 'small shader' is actually quite amazing for applying shadow into the crease. Oh and the angled eyeliner/shadow brush is great for either lining your eyes with gel liner or even filling in your eyebrows! I've used these brushes a couple of times now and I haven't had any issues with shedding as out yet, which is fantastic. The only suggestion I would make about this set is that it needs a kabuki brush or a stippling brush for foundation application or generally any liquid or cream products. If I do end up travelling with this set (which I probably will in the near future) I would have to bring along an extra brush or two for liquid and cream products. Other than that this set is quite versatile. 




Overall, I found these brushes to be of great quality and definitely worth the price. Ihana offer a nice variety of professional brushes on their website whether it be travel sized or larger kits for a decent price. Although the price-tag is a little more pricey than I like it to be (this travel set retails for $139, but it is frequently available on flash sites such as Ozsale and Brandsexclusive), if you want to invest in good quality brushes that can last you a life time, then look no further than these. However, in saying that, I think these brushes are comparable to the cheaper alternative of that of Sigma or Sedona Lace, the only difference is that Sigma and Sedona Lace brushes are synthetic. If you want to spoil someone for a special occasion or treat yourself to some professional brushes - Ihana is the brand for you!

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you all had a delightful, fun filled Christmas! I hope you all got spoilt with love and presents. 

xo

38 comments :

  1. this looks soooo cute!! I want one! :) x

    http://Heidi-likes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound lovely and the packaging is gorgeous! Eek at the price though!

    Jesss xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely!

    http://jacquesdelight.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this brand before, shame on me! But it sure is cute and I wanted to look at the other brushes they sell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the layout of the packaging is in dead very original(It doesn't even look like a brush travel set)but the price isn't very interesting (must be because of the design).
    thank you for sharing with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I love how they look too~ Pretty ^..^

    xoxo
    EV
    eviiarty.blogspot.com
    Holiday Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo so adorable. Thanks for reviewing, I wouldn't have known about them otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Packaging is so cute but it would really hurt my budget... You're one lucky girl for having a generous sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That packaging is so cute & the brushes look like really good quality! Don't know how I'd feel about spending that much for travel brushes, though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my gosh, talk about adorable packaging =D and I'm so glad the quality of the brushes are really good considering the price :) thanks for sharing hun!

    Happy Holidays! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh, the packaging is so unique and adorably cute!! Thanks for sharing! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  12. packaging is too cute and awesome brushes .......:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never seen such a cute package, it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is the cutest! :) I love how it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. the bristle reminds me to oil-painting-brushes xD but I'm liking the case, so adorable :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enter my dress and make-up goodies giveaway here: My first Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  17. The packaging is adorable! I always avoid travel sets because as you say sometimes they are just so small it's a joke and they are impossible to work with but I will definitely be checking out this brand. Absolutely loving your blog, Dawn x

    themaibug.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww! Such adorable packaging! <3 And the brushes look sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is such beautiful packaging!

    http://mindy13579.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. The packaging looks great! :) I think this travel Set is good..

    http://jameilab.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. omg this set is so cute! and quite versastile! - going to keep an eye out for ozsale now ~

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is so so so cute I love it thank you for telling us about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. So adorable! And what a lovely travelling case...Looks so easy just to pick up and throw in a purse.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That set is so cute! The brushes look well made and it is a useful set to travel with.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What caught my eye af first was the name Ihana. It's actually a word in Finnish. :) It means something cute and lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. it looks so cute.tq for the review

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really nice. I wish I have a set like that.

    ReplyDelete
  28. thank you for the review..it's cute and high quality brushes but it's a little bit pricey

    ReplyDelete
  29. REaaly good.... I want to have a set like that.. that will be awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  30. great set! love it...cute!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awww, we just came across your post ad appreciate it! We are about to launch our brand new site with gorgeous new travel sets and other products this week, and checking to see what people think of us for the site. Such a great post....you know your stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just saw these on Ozsale.com.au and wanted to review it first. Thanks heaps for your informative post. They have denim travel ones on sale at the moment. They look cool and the brushes seem to be the same as what you reviewed here. Cant wait to get it now!

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!