14 Oct 2012

The Balm Haul - Nude'Tude, Bahama Mama, Hot Mama and more!

So a little over a month ago I was browsing through OzSale - which is an Australian flash sale site (similar to hautelook if you're from the U.S) that has always has quite interesting beauty & fashion brands and on there was The Balm! I've always wanted to get my hands on The Balm products, but they're just so damn expensive here in Australia (I will list the price comparison for each product). So I was ecstatic to see that OzSale were selling The Balm! OzSale can be a hit or miss with brands, but you do get the odd good quality brands on there, so definitely check it out if you're from Australia and haven't already!



There were so many The Balm products available on OzSale, but I only picked up a few that have been quite popular within the blogging/youtube community, therefore I knew were not going to be a disappointment. First off I bought two blushers (that can also be used for eyeshadow) Hot Mama & Cabana Boy and a bronzer Bahama Mama.



I absolutely love the packaging of all three products, I think it's very unique and eye-catching. I love both the blushers and bronzer are tropical holiday theme based - it definitely makes me feel like going on another vacation to Fiji! Haha. All three products are encased in a cardboard packaging - which is quite similar to the Stila 10 eyeshadow palettes (In The Light, In The Know etc) - except it is much more sturdy! The cardboard is much thicker and more durable and the magnet closure feels more secure and tight. All three products also come with a decent sized mirror that is a a little smaller in size to the corresponding blush/bronzer product. None of these come with a brush, which I actually quite like as I wouldn't have used the brush anyways, and it would have cause excess useless space in the packaging. Also, these blushers/bronzers are quite compact and great for travelling as they are quite small although they do hold quite a lot of product (a whoping 7g-8g). 



Formulation wise - these are incredible! Both Hot Mama! and Cabana Boy can be used as eyeshadows or blushes. I have yet to try them as eyeshadows, but as blushes they are stunning. I think it's fantastic that products can be used more than one way - as it just makes it more valuable and versatile. I found that both the blushers and bronzers to be finely milled, making them extremely soft and creamy and definitely not chalky in any shape or form. They are also heavily pigmented, so you only need the slightly amount of product to achieve the perfect look for the cheeks. Honestly, I can't say enough about these - I seriously cannot fault them. I even found that they blend easily and lasted a good 6-8 hours on my cheeks. These are definitely amazing cheek products in which I find myself reaching for every time I put on my make-up!



Bahama Mama is definitely one of the most wearable bronzers I've tried. It doesn't have any shimmer or muddy orange undertone - I find it to be a warm neutral brown shade. Bahama Mama is not only excellent for bronzing, but would definitely be good for contouring or even filling in your brows if you are the right complexion. 

Hot Mama! is a stunning peachy/coral pink shade that also has a little golden shimmer in it. For me, this is the perfect shade to wear during the spring/summer as it adds an amazing flush of colour to the cheeks. Also, the golden shimmer adds a lovely glowing effect to the cheeks as well. 

Cabana Boy is a gorgeous warm dusky rose/plumy shade with tiny flecks of golden shimmer - although the shimmer is extremely subtle and can only be noticed in certain lights. When applied on the cheeks Cabana Boy gives a lovely warm rosy glow, which can be easily worn in the summer as it is rosy, but also in the winter due to the plumy undertones. 




Now onto the eyeshadow palettes! Shady Lady Vol. 2 is the second palette out of 3 limited edition palettes released from theBalm. Much like the other products from theBalm, Shady Lady Vol. 2 is made out of heavy duty cardboard packaging - which makes it really sturdy but unfortunately clings onto all the eyeshadow fallout. Also has a large mirror on the back of the cover which is very convenient. This palette contains 9 decent sized eyeshadows that can create countless looks for the day and night. 



Unfortunately, this palette doest contain any matte shades, which would mean you need to bring along individual matte shades if you were travelling. But on the bright side out of the 9 shadows in this palette, 5 can be doubled as eyeliners - caught in the act courtney, feisty felicia ,insane jane,bossy bobbi and makeout mary. Another good thing about this palette is that I found that most of the shadows were quite easy to blend and were able to 7-8 hours on me before any fading (I wore Too Faced Shadow Insurance underneath).



  • Caught in the Act Courtney - sheer matte brown base with bronze flecks of gitter
  • Feisty Felicia - sheer matte gray base with fuchsia flecks of glitter
  • Insane Jane - a cool shimmery steely taupe 
  • Bossy Bobbi - a shimmery jewel toned blue
  • Makeout Mary  - a shimmery jewel toned green
  • Just This Once Jamie - a shimmery sheer lilac
  • Mischievous Marissa - a shimmery bronze/gold with a hint of peach
  • Tempting Tara - a rich shimmery white
  • Devilish Danielle - a sheer shimmery peach
And here are the swatches from the Shady Lady Vol. 2 palette:


(L-R) Caught in the Act Courtney, Feisty Felicia, Insane Jane, Bossy Bobbi & Makeout Mary
(L-R) Makeout Mary, Just This Once Jamie, Mischievous Marissa, Tempting Tara & Devilish Danielle

And lastly, one of theBalm's most popular products - Nude'Tude palette. With the same packaging as the other theBalm products, the Nude'Tude palette contains 12 neutral shadows to create any look for day or night. This palette contains a majority of shimmer shades, which is a little disappointing - but all the colours available are beautiful. 




All 12 shadows have an extremely soft and creamy consistency and glide effortlessly onto the eyelids. Also, the pigmentation of these shadows were incredible. The only shadow that was a little chalky to apply was Sassy which is the white shadow in the palette - although in saying this it quite better formulation then other white eyeshadows I've tried from different brands. I found that all shadows were extremely east to blend, however they do blend a little sheer, so you have to keep packing on the shadow after you've blended it. Also, you'll find that although these shadows last a decent amount of time on the lids, you will be able to get longer wear out of them when wearing a primer. 


The palette comes with a decent sized mirror and a duo ended eyeshadow/liner brush. I find the brush to be completely useless - it feels very rigid and unpleasant applying shadow on the lids. And here's a closer look at the shadows available:


  • Sassy - a frosty white
  • Stubborn - a frosty light pink/peach
  • Selfish - a frosty grayish taupe
  • Sophisticated - a dark brown with bronze shimmer
  • Sexy - matte burgundy
  • Serious - a black with matte finish
  • Snobby - a shimmery yellow
  • Stand-offish - a frosty/metallic light brown
  • Sultry - a satiny warm medium brown
  • Schitzo - a golden bronze
  • Silly - a reddish brown with flecks of copper sparkles
  • Sleek - a dark brown with matte finish

I think the Nude'Tude palette is an excellent alternative for those who haven't purchased any of the Naked palettes by Urban Decay, or those who think that the Naked palettes don't have enough variety of shade available.

Overall, all of the theBalm products I have purchased have been of excellent quality and I'm definitely glad to have purchased these, especially at the amazing price I got them for. These are most certainly some of my new favourites! 


Have you tried any theBalm products before?

xo

53 comments :

  1. wish i picked up some of their eyeshadow palettes!! btw thanks for letting me know about theBalm being sold in david jones! i've never seen it there before though!

    Laura x

    demure-porcelain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hot Mama! It had a Orgasm tone to it, it's gorgeous! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it does! Thanks for pointing that out :) xx

      Delete
  3. These Nudetude swatches are so pigmented and beautiful. Would love to have this palette. (:

    turquoisedreaam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderfully versatile palette! It's definitely a must have in any make-up collection :)

      Delete
  4. The colours look just amazing!!

    www.rebekasbeautyworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Nudetude palette looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh ya! I love theBalm palettes, their products are such good quality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree! So glad I purchased them :D

      Delete
  7. next time if I'm crossing the borders, I'd definitely get the Nude palette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing palette, definitely worth the money :)

      Delete
  8. Woah~ I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for the Nudetube palette! Thanks for the swatches! c:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great haul! theBalm is one of my favorite brands. I have all of these things, except for the bronzer, but I really love the Nude 'tude palette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the Nude'tude palette is amazing! I recommend you get the bronzer - it's great for contouring as well :)

      Delete
  10. So many great palettes from The Balm! I can see myself doing some purchasing in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha definitely do. You won't regret it :)

      Delete
  11. I don't have any of the balm products, but they sure seem nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great haul!
    I wish I knew about Ozsale's The Balm sale! >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww what a shame. Hopefully they will offer theBalm again so you can get your hands on some goodies :)

      Delete
  13. Oohh great haul! I haven't used any The Balm products. I've seen it on sale on Hautelook a couple of times but never was tempted to buy.. now I kinda wish I did. Next time! :) Thanks for sharing!

    If you have time, please come by and check out my blog! And maybe follow?

    xo - Sheila

    www.sheislovelyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend you check out theBalm products. They're amazing quality :)

      Delete
  14. Wish I'd known about the sale! Would've loved to have picked up the nude palette and a couple of blushes :) I heard some people had issues with packaging, looks like yours survived intact thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully i didn't have any damage to my products. I'm so glad they're so sturdy :)

      Delete
  15. ooh thanks for a new website! hehe. Nice haul and great informative post, I do want the nude tude palette but it's probably too similar to naked 1 to get...... that probably wont stop me though :P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's what I thought as well... but hey you can never have too many neutral eyeshadows. ;)

      Delete
  16. Uhh cabana boy looks like a total beauty!! Thx for sharing :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a gorgeous blush and no worries :) xx

      Delete
  17. love them!! i was thinking of getting some The Balm as well when they had the offer in NZsale.co.nz, but I don't know why i changed my mind, now i regret not getting them :( I've been wanting to get the Nude'tude palette for so long, the colours are so gorgeous! darn it, wish they'll have the offer again, hehe. thanks for the lovely swatches! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping they have theBalm again as well! I want to grab more stuff! Haha so bad

      Delete
  18. They look amazing! I've been wanting to get my hands on Hot Mama and Bahama Mama and I definitely did not know about this Ozsale site! I'm signing up as I type this up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, hopefully they will have The Balm on the site again, because I would love to buy more! But they always have a few good brands on there :)

      Delete
  19. wow! I have the Bahama mama bronzer and it's the best I've ever tried. Looks amazing and it's great coz its completely matte.
    loved your post

    http://urbanglamgirlz.blogspot.com.es/

    XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree, it's an amazing bronzer and I love contouring with it :)

      Delete
  20. These The Balm products look so good! Loving the nude palette :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're amazing! Really worth the wait :)

      Delete
  21. Omg I bought some of The Balm products from OzSale too! So cheap and amazing quality.
    http://bellambeauty.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you! I'm kind of sad now that I didn't buy more because they're so good!

      Delete
  22. thebalm has such great palettes!! I'm loving the vintage looking packaging!I'm quite interested with the Nude palette as it kind a reminds me of naked palette. Thanks so much for sharing the swatches ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  23. love everything you've gotten! I've got their tinted moisturizer and some single shadows. I really for the longest time wanted to get cabana boy but TheBalm seems to be running low in singapore, there's only one store chain that carries it and it seems to be phasing out! All the swatches are brilliant! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. wOW.. GREAT PALLETE..~ hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Nudetude palette looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Balm is an amazing brand, I love it!
    Great haul :)

    Greetings from Shirayuki's Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so jealous! Amazing stuff you got there!

    ReplyDelete
  28. so jealous, what a haul theres so many things here i want lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great review, I love your blog! I've just started my own beauty/food/photography blog as well, and would love to know what you think!
    http://beautybitesadorations.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!