10 Oct 2012

Going ELF crazy

I think it is officially safe to say that I have a problem - an ELF problem. This is my 3rd mini haul from ELF in the past two months I think - I seriously cannot help myself when there's a good sale on PLUS free shipping. But hopefully I will be able to refraining from buying anymore ELF products from now on - not because I don't like ELF products, but because I want to try new brands and what not. Anyway, enough blabbering, onto what I purchased.. Last week, ELF Australia had a little promotion of 30% off everything, so naturally I went straight to their website and started browsing through all their products.


There were two ELF products that I knew I wanted to test out, first one being the ELF Powder Brush. I have heard/seen so many bloggers/youtubers rave on and on so I thought it was worth trying out myself. There was a little shedding when I first took it out of the packaging, but after a good wash I haven't noticed any shredding at all. Many other beauty lovers out there have mentioned, this brush is extremely versatile - you can use it for foundation, powder, blush & bronzer. I haven't tried it for liquid foundation yet, but for everything else it's amazing! I was actually quite surprised how soft this brush was when I first felt it and the quality of the brush since it's $9.99. Oh and on another note.. how insane is the price difference of ELF and every other brand is here compared to Europe and USA. This ELF brush retails for approximately $3-3.50 in the US and UK, and yet here in Australia it's $10. Ridiculous. Back to the review, I really like this brush and so far I cannot fault it. 



Next, is the ELF Eyebrow Kit, I've been meaning to purchase a new eyebrow kit for a while now and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try this one out. This kit has been described to "create brows that are fuller, thicker, and more defined! The pigmented wax defines and shapes brows and the color complementing setting powder keeps them looking arched and perfected." For me, this description is half truthful. Yes, this kit does make your eyebrows fuller and more defined.. but for the keeping them perfected part is wrong. For me, I would say my brows look sleek and defined for about 4 hours after application until it starts to wear off, at this point the sparse patches in my eyebrows will start to show. I have read other reviews on the Eyebrow Kit and others don't need to reapply at all, it must just be my oil/combination skin that affects the staying power of the eyebrow gel. So besides from having to reapply after a couple of hours, I do quite like this kit - it matches my brows perfectly and makes them more defined (I purchased the medium shade). The duo ended applicator on the other hand is useless to me. I absolutely hate using tiny applicators or sponge applicators. Oh and this kit costs $9.99 as well.




Next up, I purchased two quad collections one in Basic (Neutrals) and Brights. I was a little skeptical about these eyeshadows as the quality of the last eyeshadows I purchased from ELF weren't exactly the best quality (great pigmentation, but a few shades were a bit chalky and ALOT of fallout). Packaging for these quads look very chic, but when you actually hold them, you can tell that they aren't 'luxurious'. They do feel very plastic-y, much like other eyeshadow packaging from ELF, but you do get what you pay for, right?


So, the ELF Essential Quad Collections are said to be "Easy to blend formula that is crease resistant and long lasting. Each gorgeous shade can be worn alone or together for a dramatic effect."




The Brights Quad Collection features a lovely range of deep bright colours which are complemented with dark colour to create smokey eye look. I noticed that all of the eyeshadows in this collection were matte shades, none of them were shimmery, not even the two shades that were infused with specks of glitter were. Which I find quite interesting, because you would expect to have at least one shimmer shade in a brights collection right? Unfortunately, the consistency of these particular eyeshadows were much like the ones I dreaded - very, very, very pigmented but massive amount of fallout and the lighter shades were quite chalky. I'm starting to think only shimmery ELF eyeshadows are good quality..


And my hypothesis was certified when I swatched/tested the Basic Quad Collection. All the shades included in this collection were shimmer shades and they were all creamy and smooth and there wasn't much fallout either. These are definitely the winners out of the two collections. Not only is the formulation of these shadows excellent, the shades available are also fabulous. There is a lovely variety of shades that all complement each other - and I think these would be a good cheap option for neutral shades if you don't want to splurge for the Naked Palette. 




The only downside I do have this collection, and the other collection (although that collection already has faults), is that I feel as though they would be a little bit of a hassle to travel with. Yes, they are small and you can mix and match which duos you like to take, but if you wanted to bring them all it might use up too much space. Also, because these are all shimmers neutrals, or all matte brights, you have to bring more eyeshadow duo/quads as well, therefore taking up more space. That's just one small problem that I picked up from these eyeshadows, most of you problem wouldn't even care about the space problem, I know I wouldn't. Haha.  


And lastly, the double ended eyeliner/shader brush. First off, I quite like that it's two in one as it would be convenient for travelling, but other than that it's quite mediocre. The eyeliner quality and formulation is pretty much what you expect for something so inexpensive. Because I do have watery eyelids, I can already tell without trying it out, it will give me panda eyes by the end of the day. The shader brush, is actually good. It does a decent job of applying the eyeshadows all over the lid. 


All in all, I'm glad I didn't pay full price for the Brights Essential Eyeshadow Quads as most of them were a little disappointing. Everything else I purchased I quite like, and I can't wait to test them out over a long period! Hope you girls liked my little haul/review! Let me know if you've tried these products before and what your opinions are about them! Hope you're having an amazing week and thank you for reading.

xo


28 comments :

  1. Great haul, wow i can't believe how much the powder brush is for you, thats unfair ):

    Sophierosehearts x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, pretty much everything in Australia is much more expensive to other countries! :(

      Delete
  2. elf is such an amazing brand :)
    thanx for the swatches ! and that last pic. with a heart is so cute ^^

    xxx
    http://youshoulddancewithme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really want to try that brush! heard heaps of great stuff about it too!

    Laura x

    demure-porcelain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing brush - you should definitely get your hands on it!

      Delete
  4. Could you do a review with swatches of the eyeshadows? Especially of the brown ones, I've never tried ELF eyeshadows (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, sorry, I always seem to forget that there is a "read more" button, haha! *reads entire post* xD

      Delete
    2. Haha, it's okay. I hope you like the review :)

      Delete
  5. I super duper love their powder brush and eyebrow kit :) cant believe its so expensive there!

    http://rrraych.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how amazing the powder brush and eyebrow kit is, but it sucks on the price though!

      Delete
  6. i need to try some of elf's new products! i want to try the liquid blush!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ELF products are amazing - especially because they're so affordable :D

      Delete
  7. Wow amazing haul. I love the Brights Quad Collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, i always get jealous whenever I read your posts :( lol, i've been wanting to get that eyebrow kit from ELF, looks really amazing, alot of people have been raving about it. and ohhhh those eyeshadows are sooo vibrant, just too bad because some are not really as great like you said but the colours are still gorgeous!

    thanks for the review and haul, you're like my fave daily dose of make-up, hehe. hope you have a fab day Dawn! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thank you! Your comments always make my day and I love, love, love reading your posts as well :D

      Delete
  9. I have never tried anything from elf! These look pretty awesome :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely get your hands on some products - studio blushes especially - they're amazing! :)

      Delete
  10. Love the powder brush I have had mine.for over a yr and.its stil going strong!! I've never noticed any shedding, either. also when I was using the brow kit I really liked it too and think I'd def. repurchase. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to fall in love with both of these products - I use them on a daily basis! :D

      Delete
  11. Nice haul! Loving the swatches as always, the neutral eyeshadows look really good. The brow kit looks interesting too, and it's a shame that it didn't last the whole day for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that if I use the eyebrow gel by itself, it lasts longer and looks more natural for me :)

      Delete
  12. Great haul!! I hope I can find that same elf shadow sets :)

    http://perlaxmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. amazing products at low prices but difficult to get in pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have the same problem here in bahrain .. the price difference is huge

    ReplyDelete
  15. you have a lot of elf collection.. I really want it all.. XD

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this blog post! You've officially made my day a little bit brighter & more bearable!